- Maintain a working knowledge of federal and state regulations that impact our industry. Those known existing regulations include:
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- State privacy statutes, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing (CAN-SPAM)
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- National Association of Insurance Commissions (NAIC) Data Security Model Law
- Arizona Insurance Information and Privacy Act
- Monitor legislative changes that impact our industry and communicate changes as needed across our organization.
- Collaborate with and educate/train MJ’s various business units to help them understand compliance issues that need to be addressed. Work with MJ’s business units to create required policies to ensure compliance with applicable regulations (each business unit needs to be responsible for adherence to and monitoring of the required procedures that are created).
- Build relationships with industry networks (i.e. NAIC, CIAB, Assurex, Big I, etc.) to understand resources available to stay current on regulations. Attend conferences as needed.
- Create ongoing strategy for engagement of outside counsel for our regulatory compliance needs and establish an annual budget for this professional help.
- Keep required organizational documents current based on changes to statutes and regulations (i.e. client notices, Incident Report, Business Associate Agreements, etc.)
- Be a resource for compliance questions and potential compliance issues.
- Member of MJ’s Incident Response Team and Risk Management Committee.
Contractual Compliance (Carrier Partners and Vendors):
- Establish a system to capture, evaluate, retain and track key elements for all agreements that MJ enters into. This would include vendor, carrier and any other corporate documents required by the regulations outlined above. This does not contemplate the maintenance of MJ employment agreements.
- Establish a system that will proactively monitor contractual expirations and communicate with responsible parties on actions needed for renewal.
- Educate and train MJ associates on the utilization of our contract system.
- Provide legal review of contractual agreements required with the various parties that MJ partners with.
- Maintain a working knowledge of standard legal provisions contained in typical contractual agreements. Negotiate contractual modifications and/or advise MJ of exposures identified in the legal review process.
Other Areas of Oversight:
- Agency Licensing – Establish corporate policy for states we should be “registered” in based on regulations of each State’s Department of Insurance. Create database of MJ’s ongoing requirements and compliance with those requirements.
- Client Fee Agreements – Oversee our Fee Agreement process to ensure that proper review has taken place prior to creation of any agreement. Will also oversee updates to standard language needed within our client agreements.
- Individual licensing – Establish corporate policy for individual licensing needed in each state based on appointments required by our carrier partners.
- IT Security Regulations – Understanding of security regulations that exist for the protection of client data required in our industry. Engaging with MJ’s IT team to help that team understand our compliance requirements and ensure privacy and security requirements align.
- Familiarity with using a database to maintain contracts
- Ability to learn agency management software
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or related field
- Carmel, Indiana
These are all the things we’re looking for in our ideal candidate. Since you’re looking for your ideal employer, let’s talk about what we can provide you.
Our team is continually growing. We’re motived by the success, fulfillment and wellbeing of the people we serve. Since their success is our success, we’re making strides to provide a best-in-class work environment for our employees. We enjoy working hard, having a lot of fun and making our clients’ business stronger, more efficient and more successful.
Interested? Click the button below to apply today!